Meal Box Volunteers
Long-term (3-months +)
Ve’ahavta’s programs seek to break down barriers, empower marginalized individuals, and inspire community engagement on issues of poverty and homelessness in Toronto.
The Meal Box Program is a new initiative offering healthy meals to chronically homeless individuals as part of our Mobile Jewish Response to Homelessness outreach van program (MJRH). Meals will be prepared and packaged by the Kitchen Coordinator and volunteer teams Monday-Wednesday and Friday each week.
This role is ideal for someone looking to have a meaningful and regular volunteer commitment. Open to corporate, friends and family groups.
All volunteers must be aged 16 & older
Each shift will have 4-8 volunteers who will collectively prepare and package approximately 70 meals along with two Kitchen Coordinators.
- All volunteers must attend volunteer orientation
- General on-site training provided by Kitchen Coordinators
- Minimum 3 hours every other week
- We ask that all interested volunteers make a minimum 3-month commitment
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Must be able to follow recipes and effectively follow instructions
- Interest in food security and community food programming
- Food handler’s certification an asset
- Understanding of issues of homelessness and poverty is an asset