About the Organization
Ve’ahavta is a Jewish humanitarian organization dedicated to promoting positive change in the lives of people of all faiths and backgrounds who have been marginalized by poverty and hardship. Ve’ahavta mobilizes volunteers in meaningful, hands-on experiences to fulfill our collective responsibility to care for our neighbours.
In our 28th year of operation, Ve’ahavta is in the midst of significant growth in Toronto and preparing for an expansion to a new city commencing in 2024.
We are seeking passionate and committed individuals to join our board of directors as volunteers. With a strong professional staff team in place, we are seeking new board members to advise and provide governance to the growing charity. As a board member, you will have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the community and contribute to the strategic direction of the organization.
- Attend monthly board meetings and actively participate in discussions and decision-making processes (10 meetings per year ~2 hours)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan
- Help to identify and secure funding opportunities to support the organization’s mission
- Participate in fundraising activities and assist in organizing events and initiatives
- Act as an ambassador for the organization and help to raise awareness of its mission and activities
- Ensure that the organization is operating in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Serve on 1 to 2 committees of the board and special projects as required (~ 5 hours/month)
- Act as an advisor to the senior staff team as required
- Make an annual personal donation to support the organization
- Strong commitment to the values of Tikkun Olam and Chessed
- Deep knowledge of, and networks in Toronto’s Jewish community
- Knowledge and experience in one of the following areas preferred: finance, investments, business expansion, fundraising, communications, data analytics, IT management or charity management
- Previous experience in a board or leadership role is preferred but not required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt to changing circumstances
- Availability to attend monthly board meetings and participate in occasional events and activities
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter expressing your interest in Ve’ahavta and experience in serving on a volunteer board together with your resume to Deborah Berlach firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Board of Directors Application”.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted in May.