Young Rider Education
Ve’ahavta will be offering a one-time winter workshop called Young Rider Ed which provides an opportunity for teens to meet like-minded peers who are interested in the same volunteer activities as them. They will explore Ve’ahavta’s values and goals, and become more familiar with the ways in which we support our clients.
Monday November 18, 2019
6:30-8:30 pm, Ve’ahavta office
Age 14-15 or Grades 9-11
Participation fee: $72 (includes the workshop, hearing from one of our speakers with lived experience and the volunteer commitment of going out on the MJRH outreach van).
- There will be a short break approximately halfway through our workshop where snacks and water/juice will be provided. Please have dinner beforehand.
During this workshop, participants will deepen their understanding about such issues as:
- Ve’ahavta’s mission, Jewish values and the poverty cycle
- Affordable housing and the disparities of lifestyle in our city
- Communities at risk
- Discrimination and stigma
- Upstream thinking, changemaking and advocacy
Following their participation in Young Rider Ed, participants will have the opportunity to volunteer on the Mobile Jewish Response to Homelessness outreach van. They will see first-hand how the social issues they have been learning about impact vulnerable individuals in this city.
Participants will also be offered the opportunity to volunteer with other special Ve’ahavta projects such as the Meal Box program and the annual Passover Seder.
Through these activities, teens will be able to take their learnings and passions and transform them into actions.